Friday, May 3, 7 – 9 pm
The DiMenna Center for Classical Music
450 W. 37th St., New York, NY 10027
$20 (includes a copy of Maroon the Implacable)
MAROON THE IMPLACABLE – NYC BOOK LAUNCH
End Torture And Solitary Confinement! Free All Political Prisoners!
This event will feature the launch of an historic book collecting the writings of former Black Panther political prisoner Russell “Maroon” Shoatz, who has been held in solitary confinement in the state of Pennsylvania for the past 30 years.
Speakers and performers include:
- Soffiyah Elijah, Director, NY Corrections Association
- Ben Chaney, veteran civil rights activist & brother of martyred activist James Chaney
- Gary Bartz, Grammy-winning saxophonist
- Rebel Diaz, acclaimed political hip-hop group
- The Living Theatre
- Matt Meyer, author, educator, activist with War Resisters Intl. & Intl. Peace Research Assn.
- Iyanna Jones/Nana Soul, Black Waxx radio personality
- Theresa Shoatz, daughter of Russell Maroon Shoatz, with Campaign to Free Russell Maroon Shoatz
Who is Russell Maroon Shoatz?
Russell Maroon Shoatz is a former leader of the Black Panthers and the Black freedom movement, born in Philadelphia in 1943 and originally imprisoned in January 1972 for actions relating to his political involvement. With an extraordinary thirty-plus years spent in solitary confinement—including the past twenty-three years continuously—Maroon’s case is one of the most shocking examples of U.S. torture of political prisoners, and one of the most egregious examples of human rights violations regarding prison conditions anywhere in the world. His “Maroon” nickname is, in part, due to his continued resistance—which twice led him to escape confinement; it is also based on his continued clear analysis, including recent writings on ecology and matriarchy. THOUGH MARON WAS RECENTLY TRANSFERRED to a lower-security correctional facility in Central Pennsylvania, he IS STILL HELD in a SOLITARY CONFINEMENT UNIT. It will take a mass, grassroots movement to free this inspiring community activist.
Campaign to Free Russell Maroon Shoatz, email@example.com,
4820 Baltimore Ave Phila Pa 19143